"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food."

~Hippocrates~

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"GROATMEAL"



One of my favorite new meals is groatmeal! I've never been able to stomach oatmeal in the mornings. I have a thing about textures, and slime, and memories of brothers dangling giant loogies over my head as I lay helplessly pinned to the ground. Groatmeal is not slimy, and it tastes so yummy!

To make groatmeal you will need to start by soaking raw oat groats overnight. Oat groats are simply the oat seed (grain) as it is, directly from the oat grass when it is harvested. It is what oatmeal looks like before it is cracked or rolled. If the groats are raw, since they are essentially a seed, they are still alive with all the nutrition and enzymes intact. That's what I'm going for in my food nowadays, since I am trying to help my whole body heal through proper nutrition. The soaking comes into play because I want the oats to taste good, to be soft and chewy, and most importantly, to have begun to release all their hidden nutrition. By soaking them overnight, I am basically sprouting them. Plants are at their highest nutritionally when they are newly sprouted. After soaking overnight, I place them in a colander/strainer and rinse them. Next I place fresh berries and/or cut up fruit into a big cereal bowl. I've tried raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi, banana, etc. Why not mix it up a little?! I sprinkle the fruit with about 1 tbsp. of chia seeds (I'll talk more about chia seeds some other time) and then add about 1/4 cup sprouted oat groats. I drizzle the bowl with raw agave syrup, a little cinnamon, and top the whole thing with raw almond mylk.



Sometimes I garnish with sunflower seeds, nuts, or coconut flakes. Healthy and delicious!

1 comment:

Kim Bringhurst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.